INDIANAPOLIS – The USA Track & Field Foundation is pleased to announce that a total of 20 Elite Athlete Grant recipients (13 women & 7 men) have either won gold, silver or bronze medals at the recently completed 2013 USA Outdoor National Championships in Des Moines, Iowa, announced Foundation Executive Director Tom Jackovic and Chairman Bob Greifeld today.
The Championships served as the Team USA selection for the upcoming IAAF World Championships being held in Moscow this summer. Many of the grantee athletes listed below currently have the qualifying IAAF standard for their respective events. Those athletes without the qualifying standard will have until July 20, 2013, to achieve their marks.
Jackovic noted, “The USATF Foundation congratulates all grantees that made the National team! We look forward to their performances in Moscow.”
The following athletes have won gold, silver or bronze medals at the 2013 USA Outdoor National Championships:
- Amanda Bingson (hammer throw) – 1st Place
- Ashley Higginson (3000 meter steeplechase) – 2nd Place
- Becky Holliday (pole vault) – 3rd Place
- Molly Huddle (5000 meters) – 2nd Place
- Kylie Hutson (pole vault) – 2nd Place
- Brenda Martinez (800 meters) – 2nd Place
- Miranda Melville (20,000 meter race walk) – 3rd Place
- Inika McPherson (high jump) – 2nd Place
- Alysia Montano (800 meters) – 1st Place
- Kara Patterson (javelin throw) – 3rd Place
- Tori Polk (long jump) – 2nd Place
- Amanda Smock (triple jump) – 3rd Place
- Bettie Wade (heptathlon) – 2nd Place
- Lance Brooks (discus throw) – 1st Place
- Dan Huling (3000 meter steeplechase) – 2nd Place
- Dusty Jonas (high jump) – 2nd Place
- A.G. Kruger (hammer throw) – 1st Place
- David Oliver (110 meter hurdles) – 2nd Place
- Ronald Taylor (long jump) – 3rd Place
- Russ Winger (discus throw) – 2nd Place
Additionally, Run With US! mentors Ashton Eaton (decathlon), Leo Manzano (1500 meters), Queen Harrison (100 meters) and Ryan Wilson (110 meter hurdles) have also placed in the top 3 of their respective events, and have already achieved, or will be chasing the standard.
Athletes with a secured spot on Team USA also include mentors Carmelita Jeter (100 meters), Lashinda Demus (400 meter hurdles) and Jason Richardson (110 meter hurdles), by virtue of being either a defending World Championship or Diamond League Champion.
Competitors with near-miss 4th place finishes included athletes:
- Cory Martin (shot put)
- Mary Saxer (pole vault)
- Blessing Ufodiama (triple jump)
NOTE: This release will be updated with the final Team USA selection after the July 20 deadline has passed.
The Foundation Elite Athlete Grant Program contributes to the pursuit of world-class performances by American post-collegiate track and field athletes. Athletes must meet minimum performance and financial need standards to be eligible.